PRIMaRE Funding Opportunities
In July 2017, PRIMaRE received a network grant from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) to enhance its work through events, workshops and a summer school for those seeking to expand their knowledge in the MRE sector. As part of the network grant, funding is available to the PRIMaRE community under two categories: travel and subsistence, which are always open and assessed on a rolling basis; and short research projects for which specific calls are released. Further details of all funding can be found on this page.
Questions or enquiries about the funding calls should only be made by email to [email protected].
PRIMaRE ECR Small Research Projects: CALL CLOSED
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This call is now closed. If you have submitted an application and not received an acknowledgement email and/or you have received a delivery failure notice, then your application has not been received successfully. Please get in touch with Scott Brown ([email protected]) as soon as possible if this is the case.
PRIMaRE is pleased to invite proposals for Early Career Researcher Small Research Projects (ECR-SRPs). The maximum award size will be £5,000 (direct costs only) and funded at 80% FEC by PRIMaRE. The fund is designed to be a flexible research fund for Early Career Researchers (ECRs) to enable small activities that either support and develop your existing research activities, or develop your skills further. Research activities should be aligned with the priority areas identified by PRIMaRE, further details of which can be found HERE. Multi-disciplinary or multi-sectoral proposals are encouraged, as are collaborative projects with industry, and all aspects of marine renewable energy (MRE) are eligible, including:
- Materials, Manufacture & Structural Design
- Fluid Dynamics & Hydrodynamics
- Survivability & Reliability
- Environmental Resources
- Impacts on Environment & Ecosystems
- Power Conversion & Control
- Infrastructure & Grid Connection
- Marine Operations & Maritime Safety
- Marine Planning & Governance
The deadline for submission of applications to this ECR-SRP call is noon on Friday 20th November 2020. All applications will be peer reviewed by researchers from PRIMaRE partner institutions. Funding decisions will be made within 4 weeks of the proposal deadline with award announcements made on or before Friday 18th December 2020.
The proposed activity for successful awards and the subsequent funding claim must both be completed by August 31st 2021.
PRIMaRE Travel and Subsistence Funding
As part of the network grant, PRIMaRE is pleased to offer funding opportunities for travel and subsistence. This funding is available under four distinct categories:
- PRIMaRE Short Research Visits (SRVs)
- PRIMaRE ECR-Travel Grant (ECR-TG)
- Overseas Collaborators to Visit PRIMaRE Partners (OCVP)
- PRIMaRE Partners to Visit Overseas Collaborators (PVOC)
Applications can be submitted at any time and will be processed periodically by a review panel. All submissions should follow the respective call for proposals and/or application forms which can be downloaded from the links below. Once completed this should be submitted to [email protected].
PRIMaRE Short Research Visits (SRVs)
Up to £10k in total is available, per year, to sponsor travel and subsistence costs for researchers from PRIMaRE partner institutions (PRIMaRE Partners and Associate Partners) to visit other researchers or for another researcher/industry collaborator to visit them. Particularly SRVs are aimed at projects that cross discipline boundaries.
The SRVs objectives are:
- to facilitate access to infrastructure to UK researchers and industry by removing financial and access barriers;
- to develop new research ideas and foster collaboration;
- to maximize the impact of EPSRC´s investments by increasing the knowledge transfer and facilitating access to facilities within the UK;
- to encourage the development of new collaborations with industry.
PRIMaRE is pleased to invite proposals for Short Research Visits (SRVs). Please refer to the Call For Applications document below which gives the context of the call and sets out the information the applicant should provide in their proposal.
PRIMaRE ECR-Travel Grant (ECR-TG)
Up to £3k in total is available, per year, to sponsor travel and subsistence costs for Early Career Researchers (ECRs) from PRIMaRE partner institutions (PRIMaRE Partners and Associate Partners) to attend the PRIMaRE and other MRE conferences and/or workshops. The ECR-TG objective is to contribute to reduce the barrier for early career researchers to access national conferences and workshops.
PRIMaRE is pleased to invite proposals for Early Career Researcher Travel Grants (ECR-TG). Please refer to the Call For Applications document below which gives the context of the call and sets out the information the applicant should provide in their proposal.
Overseas Collaborators to Visit PRIMaRE Partners (OCVP)
In order for PRIMaRE to become a recognised world-class research cluster in MRE, positioned at the forefront of research and development in the sector, it is key to establish strong relationships with other strategic international outreach centres or clusters in MRE. For this reason, grants are available that support a delegation from overseas research centres to attend the PRIMaRE conference and for a maximum of two weeks, during which the visitors will have the chance to visit the PRIMaRE partners.
PRIMaRE Partners are welcomed to invite overseas collaborators to apply for this funding. Applications will be evaluated by the PRIMaRE Steering Committee annually, who will allocate funds according to the value provided by the visit in building or strengthening collaborations with overseas research groups. Note that only members from Full PRIMaRE partner institutions can apply for this funding.
PRIMaRE Partners to Visit Overseas Collaborators (PVOC)
Grants are also available for PRIMaRE Partners to visit overseas research centres.
PRIMaRE Partners are welcomed to apply for funding to visit Overseas Collaborators. Applications will be evaluated by the PRIMaRE Steering Committee, who will allocate funds according to the value provided by the visit in building or strengthening collaborations with overseas research groups. Note that only members from Full PRIMaRE partner institutions can apply for this funding.
- Federica Buriani - 2018 INORE Symposium
- Shanshan Cheng - JABACO Workshop
- Jonathan Demmer - EGU General Assembly 2019
- Robert Ellis - 4th AWTEC Conference
- Alice Goward Brown - COAWST Training Course
- Magnus Harrold - IOWTC
- Eirini Katsidoniotaki - 6th PRIMaRE Conference
- Faryal Khalid - Peter Watson Prize
- Catherine Lloyd - 4th AWTEC Conference
- Elizabeth Mills - 6th PRIMaRE Conference
- Sophie Ward - Marine Energy Wales Conference 2019
- Sam Fredriksson SRV - Bangor/Minesto Visit
- Eirini Katsidoniotaki - University of Plymouth Visit
- Elizabeth Mills - Marine Biological Association Visit
- Gemma Veneruso - University of St Andrews Visit